- About us
- What we do
- Sustainable Business
- Media Relations
- 100 Years Pietro Barilla
We have read posts on the social media about the quality and safety of the durum wheat used to produce Barilla pasta.
We would like to state the official position of the company in order to clarify several inaccuracies and to provide people with accurate information.
Barilla pasta fully complies with the standards in force and is produced with top quality and safe wheat. Barilla does not use genetically modified raw materials and the levels of contaminants or mycotoxins are always well below the limits set by Food Safety standards, which are already extremely protective for human health.
Durum wheat is indeed the main ingredient for a quality, al dente pasta, and for this reason Barilla invests a lot of resources in research and in the selection of this raw material, besides having a long history of activities and projects on the supply chain, from seed to table:
- investing in research for the selection and development of durum wheat varieties that are particularly suitable for the production of quality semolina;
- defining the Specifications that govern the growing and storage of durum wheat for all supply chain operators;
- signing long-term cultivation contracts at favourable conditions for our suppliers, so as to constantly ensure high quality wheat. An example of this is the contract signed in 2006 with the Emilia Romagna Region, Growers' Associations, Farmers' Associations and Agricultural Cooperatives for the production of High Quality Durum Wheat in Emilia Romagna.
For specific wheat varieties in Italy, Barilla has been managing the planting, cultivation, harvesting and storage of wheat directly for over 15 years.
Moreover, all our suppliers are carefully selected and undergo constant checks that start from the field and continue to the intake of wheat at the mill, and after milling, with the certification of the semolina produced.
With regard to the origin of the wheat used, since Barilla is the largest pasta producer in the world and the largest user of durum wheat semolina (over 1,400,000 tons processed per year), the domestic production would not be sufficient to meet the demand for our pasta production in terms of quality and quantity.
Considering also the annual variability in durum wheat yields, it is therefore necessary to duly mix different types of wheat in the form of semolina so as to ensure high and consistent quality standards.
To supply its Italian production sites, more than 70% of the semolina used by Barilla is made from Italian wheat. In Italy, there are about 30,000 farmers who grow wheat for Barilla. For the remaining 30% we source mainly from North America. The foreign wheat purchased is carefully selected based on excellent quality features and full guarantees of food safety.